Tuesday, May 25, 2010

So you are a critic eh? Get a life....

I think critics suck.


They suck eggs. Green nasty 50 day old eggs that are putrid, smelly,disgu.....i think you get the picture.

I guess we are all guilty of unleashing criticism from time to time...a kind of differing of opinion of what something is presented as and what we perceive it to be. I have no issues with this kind of expression and actively encourage it. It would be a dull world indeed should we all be singing off the same hymn book (which is why the bible's vision of heaven scares the crap out of me..)

But the part i detest is the vicious sniping of another human beings effort. I don't like chick flicks...and so i don't watch em. As Tupac said in lord knows which track (is he really dead?) "You don't have to like it, but please respect it..."

I love what JAB did with the HAHE vid and I got rather disturbed by some of the negative comments that got put up on the bands facebook page. They weren't constructive...just the usual "This is a shit video....by 2 yr old brother could do better..." vibe.

Sorry. They can't.

Which is why the final speech/review from Anton Ego in Ratatouille are so apt.

*SPOILER ALERT*
If you have not watched the movie yet...what on earth are you waiting for??

"In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little, yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talents, new creations. The new needs friends"
Be a friend to the new....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ur right!

But they're important IMO.

Unknown said...

I am not shouting too much about this one, but I watch Ratatouille about once, mostly twice a week. I love the slap-on-your-face lesson that Anton Ego learns and by now I can recite that quote as it runs.

Thats not important. If it's not positive critism, I don't want to hear it. O and I cut you completely from my circle of friends, without a thought or a look back. So, yes, they suck eggs! The Green Ones! So says @carolkmail